Tuesday, 24 November 2015

Tauros and the Gang: the bullish adventures of +6 Pokémon!


Hey Fools, the PFG Tourney ran by Daleshand is nearing its end. Izak and I are in the finals. Here below is the journey I had to take. There has been omitted (due to the picture being a screen shot) the fact that the first time I faced Izak I lost and was knocked into the losers' bracket, where I had to face Johannes.


I saw that a Japanese player: Shinon (Jimon on his Japanese Twitter) had posted about his Tauros team, and this piqued my interest to say the least. After reading up on his experiences with the team, I also read Braverius' blog post about his version of the Tauros + friends team.

Needless to say both iterations of the team got the job done. And having used a lot of cheesy teams very recently, I thought "why the heck not?" Therefor at a Premier Challenge on the 20 Novemeber in Pretoria I used the following team (I will give an analysis of each Pokémon too, and their roles in  the team):

Lopunny (F) @ Lopunnite  
Ability: Limber  
Level: 50  
Shiny: Yes  
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  -> 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Jolly Nature  

- Fake Out  
- High Jump Kick -> Low Kick
- Teeter Dance  
- Entrainment -> Encore -> After You

It's no secret that I'm a Mega Lopunny fan. And seeing that the Tauros teams used Mega Lopunny was great, as I am quite familiar with most of its tricks and such. As you can all see, I changed from a very defensive spread to a more offensive one, and I am so glad I made the change.

I would often be able to fire off Smeargle's Dark Void succesfully on turn 1, and would no longer need Lopunny, as I could switch in Tauros into Smeargle's Storm Throw. Thereby resulting in Mega Punny playing a role which required less presence from it, and therefor it didn't need to be so defensive.

After my first PC win with this team, I realised that the (*now) outdated Lum Berry, Double Kick Terrakion would give this team a tough time. I also don't enjoy relying on moves that only have 90% accuracy and result in a figurative butt-tonne of recoil damage should that move miss (*hint hint, HJK) to deal with the aforementioned threat. So, I decided to rely on Low Kick to deal with Terra:

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 234-276 (140.1 - 165.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The change was quite welcome, and it also helped against Johannes in our PFG tourney match a lot, since I was left with a burnt Togekiss and paralysed Mega Lopunny against his Recover Sableye and Low Kick combined with Air Slash was able to take care of it!

The support moves are also pretty nifty. Teeter Dance naturally combos quite well with Smeargle's Own Tempo, and Encore/After You are also great. The former, since it dissuades opponents from Protecting on the first turn, and the latter, because even if the opponent does double Protect on the first turn, After You should normally allow Smeargle to fire off another Dark Void. So yes, there was a learning experience in using a team that wouldn't otherwise require one to think too much lol.



Smeargle @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Own Tempo  
Level: 50  
EVs: 100 HP / 156 Def / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  

- Spiky Shield  
- Dark Void  
- Follow Me  
- Storm Throw  

Using Smeargle has resulted in one giant collective sigh from the Pretoria VGC crowd! Hahahaha. I know guys, it's a terrible Pokémon and although it isn't often used, it is a reality. Sadly. The main idea here: DV, then Storm Throw self target onto Tauros switch in, then Follow Me until Smeargle dies, or another DV opportunity presents itself.


Togekiss @ Lum Berry -> Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace  
Level: 50  
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD  
Bold Nature  

- Protect  
- Tailwind  
- Air Slash  
- Follow Me  

Lum Kiss is a pretty good idea, but I found that I derived greater utility from Leftovers. Tailwind is, in my opinion better on this Togekiss than Thunder Wave would be, despite the fact that I generally promote the T-Wave camp. Why do I think its better? Mainly because of Choice Scarf Landorus-T.


Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry  
Ability: Huge Power  
Level: 50  
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe  
Adamant Nature  

- Protect  
- Belly Drum  
- Aqua Jet  
- Knock Off  

Leading Azumarill + Togekiss is a nice way to lead in an unexpected manner. Obviously Belly Drum Azu is the other part of the +6 party. I have tried to use both Play Rough and Return in place of Knock Off. However, I find that Knock Off allows for the easy (should read 'easier', because it's never really that easy) processing of Aegislash.


Tauros @ Kee Berry  
Ability: Anger Point  
Level: 50  
Happiness: 0  
EVs: 52 HP / 188 Atk / 12 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  

- Frustration -> Return
- Earthquake  
- Rock Slide  
- Protect  

"And now, the big one!"

One thing to get out of the way quickly: when I used Tauros to win the PC, it did NOT have minimum happiness. Therefor Frustration did not deal out max damage. And it didn't even make that big a difference, since everything was basically one-shot by Frustration in any case... lol. Since it's naturally easier to boost happiness than lower it, I replaced Frustration with Return. Yes, I lost "theme" points, but I did gain irony points, which are always welcome. ^_^

Okay, so whenever Tauros is hit by a critical hit, Anger Point is triggered and its Attack stat is immediately maxed out. Since Storm Throw always results in a critical hit, Anger Point will always trigger, and to add further insult to injury, Kee Berry also activates since ST is a physical attack. This is important since it helps Tauros survive physical spread attacks like Earthquake or Rock Slide better.

I think I must have apologised to every opponent that I steamrolled with this team. Not because I didn't know what the team was capable of, but because I know that tilt can happen, and since the VGC folk in Pretoria are pretty awesome, I didn't want to alienate any of them! 

----

Additional members:

(1) Metagross @ Metagrossite  
Ability: Clear Body  
Level: 50  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  

- Protect  
- Psych Up  
- Iron Head  
- Zen Headbutt  

I have learnt the hard way. There are a few Pokémon that I shan't ever use again; Mega Metagross and Hydreigon top that list.

(2) Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Modest Nature

- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Flash Cannon

Aegislash was put on the team to deal with Perish Trap teams which have been gaining popularity in South Africa surprisingly enough.

Here's the Battle Videos against Johannes. The first match is really clean for me, but the second match was über ugly and I only won because of a critical hit ;)

NRGG - WWWW - WW35 - BQFK

3WSW - WWWW - WW35 - BQHX

Well, there we are folks. If you have any questions on the team, please feel free to ask away. Or, if you feel like debating the really cheap use of Smeargle, feel free to comment below!

-Jayhonas












No comments:

Post a Comment