Sunday, 29 November 2015

Gauteng Regionals

Hey Fools! Hope you're all having a glorious morning/afternoon/evening.

I recently won the Gauteng Regional, hosted on the 28 November. I had such a great time, and seeing all my friends again was wonderful. Thanks to everyone who came out!

Okay, I'll be quite honest here, I was way too lazy to make a new team, so I just used my Tauros + Friends team again. After using it at a PC, I knew the team was able to get me into top cut at the very least. I was, however, able to go undefeated for the entire tournament. I think it's the stuff of dreams to go unbeaten through five rounds of swiss and three Bo3 top cut rounds.

The top cut standings for the tournament were as follows:

1 - Gavin Jones
2 - Morné Steinmann
3 - Siveshen Chetty
4 - Nikola Radevic
5 - 8 Dale, Clive, Shiven, Luzanne

All in all there were 23 masters (yes, I know, it isn't that much) and I was really impressed at the turn-out, seeing how the tournament was, quite frankly, in the middle of nowhere lol (South Johannesburg if you're at all curious).

I shan't go into too much detail about the team members, since I haven't changed the team at all since I last used it. If you'd like to know more about the team members and their functions, please read this article here.



Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Teeter Dance
- Low Kick
- After You


Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 100 HP / 156 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Storm Throw
- Dark Void
- Spiky Shield
- Follow Me








Tauros @ Kee Berry
Ability: Anger Point  
EVs: 52 HP / 188 Atk / 12 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect


Togekiss @ Lum Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect
- Follow Me


Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Protect
- Aqua Jet


Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- King's Shield
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak


Round 1: Brett Nel

Brett was a brand new player. He was filling in for someone else who didn't quite feel like playing, but wanted someone to have the opportunity to use his 3DS and team.


Round 2: Dale Schwikkard

Dale used the ever dreaded LieLoom combination, luckily I managed to come out on top with the sheer strength of Tauros. Interestingly enough, Dale used this same team at a Premier Challenge, and didn't do all too well. I'm glad to see he stuck with the team and got gud. 


Round 3 + Top 4 match: Siveshen Chetty 

Sivesh came with a great team to Regionals, and I'm not at all surprised to see him do so well! He puts in the hours, and he reaps his just desserts. He also used Charizard X which is such a gangster Mega! Wide Guard shenanigans played a decent factor in these matches! He has played 6 matches against this Tauros team, and is so far the only player to have neaten this team!


Round 4: Clive Lai

Clive has been on the receiving end of my "haxxy" teams, and he's been a real good sport about all the nonsense I've caused him, hahaha. I was really glad to see Clive was 3-0 at this point, since he's been practicing a load lately, and it's paid off. His Trick Room team was really awesome and I'm glad I got to play against it!


Round 5 + Top 8 match: Luzanne

Liz had a pretty good idea in making sure to bring Tyranitar to our matches, since the Sandstorm chip damage broke Smeargle's Focus Sash. Her Extreme Speed Arcanine also caught me off guard. The Amoonguss and Gardevoir combo is pretty potent, luckily Dark Void didn't allow for too many shenanigans from the duo.


Top Cut finals match: Morné

Morné has a tendency to be overly humble! It's such a great quality to possess. He was kinda bummed after his first round loss, but swiftly bounced back to end swiss 4-1. This man is hands down the best player in our country, and I won't hear anything to the contrary. His predictions and strategising are top shelf stuff. His team seemed to lack speed control, but he obviously managed without it! Conkeldurr is easily Morné's signature Pokémon, and for good reason too: it's so powerful! 


And well, there we have it folks. I might upload the battle videos at a later stage (but to be honest I'm not sure if anyone watches them lol!).

Pros:
  • Managed to go undefeated to become the Gauteng Regional champion;
  • The turnout was great;
  • Vast variety of interesting teams;
  • Venue was really great;
  • One Punch Man fans;
  • No Mega Kangaskhan in Top Cut; and
  • Judging staff were great!

Cons:
  • Travelling to the middle of Nowheresville;
  • Stephen's absence; and 
  • Hyper Beam being mentioned as a good move ;~; lol jk I'm sure it's good /s
Thanks for reading, Fools! See you on the flip side.

- Jayhonas






No comments:

Post a Comment