Changes I've made since the previous article
In case you've missed it, make sure to have a look a look at the original team here!
Onto the changes ->
1) I firstly wanted to bring Zapdos onto the team, as I was in love with Zapdos ever since Gen I. It can hit hard, has base 100 speed and has great typing! But having Raichu with Lightning Rod made things rather awkward during team selection, as it greatly limited my options in terms of team mates. Another problem facing my end goal was obtaining the actual Zapdos. I needed to get one with Hidden Power Ice, Modest nature AND decent IVs. So I started a new game on my Pokémon Y and looked forward to getting my perfect Zapdos.
However, after what felt like a full week, I gave up and turned to a trade thread on Nugget Bridge were I was eventually able to find what I was looking for. With the following IVs: 31-30-31-30-26-31 and Modest nature, I was incredibly pleased with my trade.
So I dumped Raichu in favour of this thunderbird >
[Kind of need to mention that I'll list two sets as the first one sucked :( ]
Sparrowmon (Zapdos) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure (a lame ability, but it's better than nothing. Static would be cooler).
- 4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Speed
- Ancient Power
- Hidden Power Ice
- 252 HP / 20 Speed / 28 Defence / 156 Sp.Atk / 52 Sp.Def
- Hidden Power Ice
I much prefer the second set. It is very bulky, despite the defensive EV investments being random. On that note, the only stat that I gave an inkling of thought to was the speed stat. As I've started to see a trend of slower, bulkier, adamant nature Kangaskhan over the max speed jolly counterpart, I decided to outspeed 4 speed adamant Kanga as well as anything that might try to outspeed aforementioned Kanga. With regards to moves, Ancient Power is kind of meh, but Roost allows me to heal up when facing slower opponents. The first EV spread was incredibly weak and lacked surviving power.
2) I then proceeded to change Miltank to a Meowstic. Miltank fulfilled a purely supportive role, and I felt like it was lacking that vooma to get my team going. So I decided to take Meowstic instead with its Prankster support and AWESOME movepool. If you haven't yet checked out this guy's potential, have a gander at this article.
CremeFraiche (Meowstic-M) @ Leftovers (Sitrus Berry is being used by Gardevoir)
EVs 228 HP / 100 Def / 180 Sp.Def
- Rain Dance
- Fake Out
- Thunder Wave
In replacing Raichu, I had lost a Fake Out user. In replacing Miltank, I'd lost my speed control 'mon. Thia little guy does both. As well as MAKE IT RAIN! That's pretty cool I think. it fulfils so many roles and allows me to leave Politoed at home. Seriously, one of the better team building choices I've made.
3) These are the miscellaneous changes I've made.
- I removed Safety Goggles from Politoed and replaced it with Eject Button. This allows for rain to get setup and allows for a more offensive switch in once hit by a damaging move.
- I replaced Wide Lens (which I really do still like a lot!) with Choice Specs. I then replaced Protect with Ice Beam, and Substitute with Dragon Pulse for the improved accuracy over Draco Miss.
- I moved the 20 Speed EVs on Mawile to Defence as I strongly feel it makes more sense, since I have never seen nor experienced a speed tie whilst using Mawile.
Here are the combos that I find the plus utils:
Kingdra + Politoed
.o/ + \o. = o/\o
(it's a bit abstract, but those stick men are making a hi five)
This is quite possibly the most obvious lead to choose. I do, however, feel that it is very efficient at applying immediate pressure on the opponent from the get-go.
Mawile + Zapdos
The Intimidate Pressure (lol see what I did there) from this opening is really great, I can switch out Mawile into something more appropriate if I sense that a fire or ground attack is incoming for Mawile. I really like the offensive synergy these two guys have.
Finally, Meowstic + anything
A good team has a lot of good synergy, both offensively and defensively. My opening lead combos aren't limited to the above, as it varies depending on what I feel the opponent will bring. To conclude, I really like how this team has almost evolved according to my needs and play style. And that's definitely one of the many benefits of sticking around with the same core team; as opposed to constantly finding an entire new team every time something goes wrong.
Thanks for reading this far, and if you get the spare time, have a look at these battle videos to see the team in action (you may even be able to pick up a few pointers, and learn from my mistakes) >
- VDVW - WWWW - WWW7 - K423
- 3BLW - WWWW- WWW7 - GFDD
- BNYG - WWWW - WWW7 - L2SY -- this battle is against a really great South African player called Dale. He placed second at the Gauteng regional. I really expect him to do well at Nats, so keep an eye on him.
- I would have posted my battle video against Stephen here, but I think he'd like to keep his team under wraps until he gives me the green light lol.
As always, keep it real. And if any of you guys would like to write an article for the blog, don't hesitate to contact us!